Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Who is Polly Bennett?

Good Morning Gina,


Today something new.  Yesterday it was kids and Riverkeeper.  Today I am thinking about the world -- or worlds -- that surround the "moving pieces" of the processes that affect our lives.


So how about taking a look at how a lobbyist for a corporation -- think "Michael Clayton," a classic film rendition -- might function.


Let's take a stab:


Meet "Polly Bennett"
My wife and I had moved to Hudson Falls a couple of years before the water crisis became public knowledge.  Since I’m retired I became active in a so-called citizens’ action group called Healthy Hudson Water. Polly Bennett was a mystery to us.


In January, a day before a standing-room-only meeting at the Hudson Falls library that was organized by Healthy Hudson Water and included officials from the EPA and state Health Department, Martin received an email from Patricia Bennett, a vice president with Communication Solutions, who normally advises corporate clients on environmental matters.


"Hi Dave," Bennett wrote. "What do you think about me attending tomorrow's meeting, anonymously if possible? I'd really like to see events for myself, and listen to the EPA rep. I'd hope to blend in, as if I'm a resident or uninvolved person interested in the issue. But if you think my attendance would become a focus and you'd get questions about my involvement, then I don't think it's worth it. My team thinks it would be OK, as long as we were prepared for me being 'outed.' What do you think?"                                                                        – Albany Gazette


When I read that this person had apparently infiltrated one of our public comment meetings, I was oddly curious.  They were… public.  Who was she?


Who is this woman?
I tried to imagine what she was like.  At first I pictured a slick Catherine Zeta-Jones type operative: corporate and poised.  But then I thought “wait, this is Hudson Falls” any PR agent would probably come from Albany so I ruled out glamour.


So who might think she could blend in at our CAG meeting?  I pictured an unremarkable 50-something.  Tweed and gabardine, maybe even a whiff of "Thrift Shop?"  Hand sanitizer in her purse… no, maybe not Catherine Zeta-Jones but highly unlikely an OCD.


I needed to know, Who IS "Polly Bennett?"