Thursday, June 2, 2016

The Lesson of the Little Bird

Good Morning Gina,

As I was walking across a pasture on the farm yesterday afternoon a shadow swooped across the grass.  I was in an open field and it was a cloud-free sunny day.  

So a shadow was a quiet surprise.

I looked up and, at first, didn't see anything at all.  Then I caught sight of a big bird -- a huge bird -- doing what looked like effortless loop-de-loops between the fields and the river.

It was cool to see such a large bird float so far, so quietly, without moving a feather.  I recognized the white head -- we have eagles -- that perch on high dead trees along the river's edge, a distinctive giveaway.

Then I saw a little bird -- too far away to make out any identifying characteristics other than 1) much smaller than the eagle and 2) pesky, I mean brave pesky. 



When Beth came home later I was telling her about how much I enjoyed seeing the eagle but, also, about the heckling of the little bird.  I was surprised it could keep up with the eagle and that it would risk hassling it.

"That bird was probably just protecting its nest," explained Beth.

I thought about that brave little thing putting out so much effort -- out-manned and out-gunned -- to protect its nest.  Pretty inspiring.

Spoiler Alert: RECURRING THEME.  It is so easy -- against the peace and beauty of Up River -- to be complacent.  But the right thing usually isn't the easy thing.

With PCB removal in some sections of the Upper Hudson at less than half of goal I feel a need to keep this issue in front of decision-makers like you Gina.  You have the authority to do more than just monitor.  Sure, Plan A is cycle through five year Review Periods.  But when IT IS KNOWN that specific sub-goals were "way missed," there is nothing that says they can't be addressed now.

Please.