Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Welcome to the Neighborhood

Good Morning Gina,

After sending off yesterday's missive, I hopped on my bike for a morning ride along the Upper Hudson.

I have a glorious route that covers much of what is known as "River Section One" and "River Section Two."

You will probably remember the photo from yesterday's post that showed the brilliant sparkle of sun glancing off the river's ripples.  Really beautiful and exhilarating!


As I peddled north toward Fort Edward, along the relatively flat but gently-curving West River Road, I pass farms, an ancient cemetery, the historic home where Revolutionary War heroine Jane McCrae lived with her brother, and there's Madcaps Farm where the effervescent Alfred Z. Solomon spent his summers handicapping "the ponies."




I pass a covered bridge to an island (they also fly in there!) and a few well-worn paths used by locals to get to their favorite fishing holes.


"One if by land, two if by sea... what if they come by air?"
Speed of travel really affects what you see, and how you absorb all that's around you.

Be it ever so humble....
The beaver-chewed stumps, fish jumping in the water, and even this:

River travel: Timeless and Enchanting
It was almost spooky.  Not a sound except birds chirping as this crew rowed silently downriver.  Felt as if I had fallen into a time warp!

And the little human touches:

Welcome... to our Riverhood
So this morning I wanted to check and see how Our Project is coming.  When I went to the EPA site to get the most recent update/information, here is what popped up when I clicked "view most recent data":

Page in need of updating or Get Back to Work?
I have seen what look like monitoring efforts.   Maybe I'm mistaken?  

I hope that monitoring has been "occurring as necessary," though you know my petulant-sounding "why monitor a failure, work on it instead" reprieve.